Central Okanagan Public Schools – “Inside 23”:
- Student Perspectives
In attendance from Chute Lake Elementary School:
Brenda Kirsch, Principal
Shane Grover, Kindergarten Student
In attendance from Okanagan Mission Secondary School:
Jaya Parmar, Grade 12 Student
Shane and Jaya spoke of their excitement of the first few weeks of school.
- Dave Cavezza, District Health and Safety Manager
In attendance: Kyle Cormier, Director of Labour Relations
The Board of Education expressed their congratulations to Dave Cavezza, District Health and Safety
Manager, on his retirement. The Board also expressed their appreciation to Mr. Cavezza for his exceptional leadership and service to the District during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Rick Taylor, District Health and Safety Manager
In attendance: Kyle Cormier, Director of Labour Relations
The Board of Education welcomed Rick Taylor, the new District Health and Safety Manager, to the District.
- World Teachers’ Day – Tuesday, October 5, 2021
The Central Okanagan Board of Education declared Tuesday, October 5, 2021 as ‘World Teachers’ Day’
in Central Okanagan Public Schools.
- International Walk to School Day – Wednesday, October 6, 2021
The Central Okanagan Board of Education declared Wednesday, October 6, 2021 as ‘International Walk
to School Day’ in Central Okanagan Public Schools.
- Principal and Vice-Principal Month – October
The Central Okanagan Board of Education declared the month of October as ‘Principal and Vice-Principal
Month’ in Central Okanagan Public Schools.
- Superintendent of Schools/CEO: 2021 School Opening Report – Part 2
Presenter: Kevin Kaardal, Superintendent of Schools/CEO
Kevin Kaardal, Superintendent of Schools/CEO for the Central Okanagan Public Schools, presented the
2021 School Opening Report – Part 2. This report provides detailed information about school enrolment
effective September 24, 2021. To date, the District has enrolled 23,647 students this year (including fee
payers and excluding adult, Central School Programs and Services, and eSchool23). The differences
between this year and last year are as follows:
Secondary schools have 249 more students than they had in September 2020
Middle schools have 365 more students than they had in September 2020 (due to the opening of École
H.S. Grenda Middle School)
Elementary schools have 9 more students than they had in September 2020
The School Opening Report – Part 2 and the Superintendent of Schools/CEO PowerPoint presentation are
available on the Central Okanagan Public Schools website – http://www.sd23.bc.ca.
- Formation of the École H.S. Grenda Middle School Parent Advisory Council
In attendance: Michelle Relova, Principal, École H.S. Grenda Middle School
Roslyn Hazen, Parent, École H.S. Grenda Middle School
The Board of Education approved the application from the École H.S. Grenda Middle School parents for
the establishment of the École H.S. Grenda Middle School Parent Advisory Council in accordance with
Section 8 of the British Columbia School Act.
- Audited Financial Statements Fiscal Year 2020/2021
The Board of Education received and approved the Audited Financial Statements Fiscal Year 2020/2021.
- Amendments to Policies: Section 1 – Board of Education (Housekeeping)
The Board of Education approved the housekeeping amendments to the following Board Policies:
Policy 110 – Policy Development
Policy 146 – General Affairs Committee
Policy 150 – Education and Student Services Committee
Policy 155 – Planning and Facilities Committee
Policy 160 – Finance and Audit Committee
Policy 168 – Policy Committee
Policy 170 – District Suspension Review Committee
Policy 175 – Executive Staff Management Committee
Policy 186 – Board/Public Relations
- Amendments to Policies: Section 1 – Board of Education
The Board of Education approved the amendments to the following Board Policies:
Policy 105 – Policy Manual
Policy 125 – Trustee Code of Ethics
Policy 130 – Trustee Absence/Disqualification
Policy 140 – School Board Standing and Ad Hoc Committees
Policy 141 – School District Committees
Policy 145 – Coordinating Committee
Policy 185 – Board Representation on Community, Municipal and Provincial
- Amendments to Policy 115 – Inaugural and Annual Board Meetings
The Board of Education approved the amendments to Policy 115 – Inaugural and Annual Board Meetings.
- Amendments to Policy 120 – Trustee Roles and Responsibilities
The Board of Education approved the amendments to Policy 120 – Trustee Roles and Responsibilities.
- Amendments to Policy 135 – School Board Operation
The Board of Education approved the amendments to Policy 135 – School Board Operation.
- Amendments to Policy 167 – Board Participation in Collective Bargaining Process
The Board of Education approved the amendments to Policy 167 – Board Participation in Collective
- Amendments to Policy 190 – Trustee Expenses
The Board of Education approved the amendments to Policy 190 – Trustee Expenses.
The Board of Education reviewed the following:
- Level 4 and 5 Field Study Summary – 2021/2022
- General Statement – September 15, 2021
- Financial Statement Discussion and Analysis the Year Ending June 30, 2021
- Surplus Appropriation Analysis
- Final Federal & Provincial COVID Expense Analysis
- Central Okanagan Public Schools 2020/2021 Public Sector Executive Compensation Disclosure Report
- Reminder: Survey 1 for Okanagan Mission Catchment and School Reopening Review
- Reminder: Survey 1 for Westside Catchment and French Immersion Programming Review
Items of Special Mention
- The week of September 27th through to October 1st is Truth and Reconciliation Week. Many events are
taking place in schools to commemorate the first Federal National Day for Truth and Reconciliation on
Thursday, September 30, 2021. Flags at schools and school sites will be flying at half-mast in honour of this day.
- Students and staff throughout the District honoured Orange Shirt Day by donning orange shirts and hosting various events throughout the schools.
- Trustee Baxter provided an overview of her 5 minute presentation to the Select Standing Committee on
Finance and Government Services Budget 2022 Consultation. Trustee Baxter spoke to the Committee on
the pressures and challenges facing the Central Okanagan Public Schools including Capital and Operating
Funding and Student Transportation.
- The Deputy Superintendent spoke of the following:
o The Truth and Reconciliation website has many resources for staff and parents to review on Truth
o On Tuesday, September 29th the Social Sciences and Humanities Research (SSHRC) Grant was
launched at Bertram Creek Park with the first of four land-based experiences for the multi-year
research project “Co-Curricular-Making: Honouring Indigenous Connections to Land, Culture, and the
o On Administrative Implementation Day (Friday, October 8, 2021), Kevin Lamoureax will be speaking
to staff virtually on our Equity in Action Agreement.
o In honour of the Central Okanagan Public Schools 40th anniversary of the sister city relationship with
Haruhigaoka High School in Kasugai, the Deputy Superintendent displayed a gourd which will be
forwarded to the high school.