At the start of the meeting the Board Chair made the following statement:
We know the issue of a mandatory vaccination requirement for our employees is of great interest to the
community. As this matter has labour relations implications, any Board discussions are more appropriately
dealt with in camera.
Central Okanagan Public Schools – “Inside 23”:
- Summer English Language Learners (ELL) Program
International Education Department:
Raquel Steen, Assistant Superintendent
Violeta Malfair, District Administrator: International Education and Welcome Centre Program
Rutland Senior Secondary School Grade 9 Students:
Hosam Al Msallam
Hakem Al Elesmer
Saffaa Alahmed Alibrahim
This summer the International Education Department offered the ELL program to Level 1 and Level 2
English Language Learners (ELL) for the first time. English Language Learners are students whose
primary language or languages in their home is/are other than English. The purpose of this program was
to assist students in developing their English language skills by helping them to:
‐ Improve their ability to communicate fluently in English at school and in the wider community
‐ Acquire the English needed to make academic progress and realize their potential
‐ Develop an understanding of the similarities and differences between their home culture and the
‐ Create opportunities for students and families to:
o participate in community activities and build connections with Canadian culture
o feel welcome and fully engaged with in our local community
The students reflected on their learning over an amazing two weeks filled with fun, learning and cultural
- April Strickland, Vice-Principal of Indigenous Education
Deputy Superintendent, Terry Beaudry, introduced April Strickland, Vice-Principal of Indigenous Education. The Board of Education welcomed April Strickland, to the Indigenous Education Department and the
- COVID-19 Pandemic Information
Presenter: Luke Yanik, Parent
Mr. Yanik presented the Board of Education with his views on statistics and data regarding COVID-19.
- Annual Integrated Pest Management Report
The Board of Education accepted the Annual Integrated Pest Management Report as the Annual Report
required in Policy 620 – Integrated Pest Management (IPM).
- Enhancement Agreement – École Belgo Elementary School GaGa Ball Court
The Board of Education agreed to enter into an Enhancement Agreement with the École Belgo Elementary
School PAC for the creation of a GaGa Ball Court.
- Amendment to Public Board Meeting Agenda
The Board of Education defeated the motion to return the “Trustee Queries/Comments” section to the
Public Board Meeting Agendas.
The Board of Education reviewed the following:
- Level 4 and 5 Field Study Summary – 2021/2022
- General Statement – October 13, 2021
- Transportation Services Update
- Child Care Spaces in Central Okanagan Public Schools
- BC Tripartite Framework Agreement on First Nation Health Governance and the Foundation Skills
- Central Okanagan Board of Education Letter to Premier, Minister of Education, Minister of Health, and
Provincial Health Officer
- British Columbia Ministry of Education’s 2021 K-12 Sector Guidelines for Vaccination Policies
Items of Special Mention
The Board Chair and Trustees spoke of the following:
École KLO Middle School students and staff recently celebrated their annual Green Day which
focusses on awareness of ecological issues and how students can contribute to a better future.
Students learn about sustainable living and environmental education throughout the school, including
Indigenous land-based learning, recycling programs, care for Fascieux Creek and the Wellness Walk
Today trustees, staff, students, community members and sponsors celebrated the Grand Opening of
the Outdoor Exploration Centre at Pearson Road Elementary School. The Centre is a culmination
of a broad community effort. Students will be able to learn from the two greenhouses, sixteen garden
beds, an outdoor classroom, and an Indigenous garden. The Centre increases natural vegetation on
the school grounds, raises environmental awareness, and creates opportunities for land-based
learning. The inspiration for this outdoor learning space was long-time Pearson Road Elementary
Kindergarten teacher Isabel Alves-Vicente, also known as “Miss V” who suffers from the incurable Lou
Gehrig’s Disease (ALS).
- On October 15-16, École Kelowna Secondary School (KSS) hosted the 2021 Best of the West
- Volleyball Tournament for senior and junior boys and girls. Congratulations to the KSS Owls Senior
- Boys and KSS Owls Senior Girls teams who both won gold medals. The KSS Senior Girls and
- Okanagan Mission Secondary Senior Girls played an entertaining final. The KSS Senior Boys went
- undefeated in the tournament and played a well contested final game against Langley Christian. A
- thank you to all who supported this tournament and a special thank you to Tony Sodaro, Mike Sodaro
- and Kelly Hettinga.
- Trustees, along with representatives from partner groups, will be participating in the 2021 Kelowna
- Pride Festival being held this Saturday, October 30th at the Rotary Centre for the Arts. Central
- Okanagan Public Schools, including representatives from partner groups, will be hosting a booth. The
- Festival runs from 11:00 am through to 4:00 pm and includes entertainment.